To feed the mature larvae alive to the poultry:
- Improving gut health in poultry / more disease resistance> poultry lives longer
- Broilers fed with BSF larvae grow faster than the other broilers
- Because they live longer, there are more eggs per laying hen
- Less medication needed, because the lauric acid from the fat of the BSF larvae acts as a probiotic. Reduces the need for antibiotics
- Composition of poultry compound feed does not need to contain as much soy as the larvae are rich in proteins. The dependence on soy reduces.
Healthier foraging behavior:
- Less dropout, because they no longer peck each other.
- Improving animal welfare because they now also receive animal protein.
- If the larvae are cheaper than the price of conventional poultry compound feed.
- Due to the circular working method, procurement by supermarkets may pay a higher price per egg and a higher price per broiler.
- By selling the frass.
It is possible to cause damage to poultry by improper feeding of BSF larvae to poultry. The poultry can literally eat themselves to death on the larvae, because they are so fond of them. Therefore, it is necessary that the larvae are fed to the poultry in staggered distribution throughout the house.